Residing abroad – sole trader

If you are residing abroad certain rules apply for setting up as a sole trader.

If you are not registered in the Swedish population register you need a co-ordination number (samordningsnummer) from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) to register as a sole trader. A co-ordination number is an identity number, which you must state in your registration application. You must also send in a certified copy of your passport.

Appoint a manager if you live outside the EEA

If you are registered in a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and want to set up as a sole trader in Sweden, you must appoint a manager for your business. You must register the manager with Bolagsverket, regardless of your business has been registered with us or not.

The manager's responsibilities

The manager

  • is responsible for the business in Sweden
  • commits the sole trader to contracts
  • represents the sole trader before authorities, such as courts
  • may be held liable for exceeding his or her authority or for negligence.

Requirements on a manager

A manager must

  • be over 18 years of age
  • be resident in Sweden, and
  • have a Swedish identity number.

A manager must not

  • be declared bankrupt
  • be prohibited from carrying on business, or
  • have a custodian.

The manager’s power of attorney

If you appoint a manager you must give that person power of attorney. You are personally liable for decisions the manager makes, as long as the manager carries out his or her duties in accordance with the power of attorney.

Register a manager

If you appoint a manager you must register him or her with us. Please remember to submit your manager’s power of attorney with the application.

Your Europe – This webpage is part of an EU quality network
Help us improve