Apply for exemption from residency requirements
If you need to apply for exemption from the residency requirements, send an application to Bolagsverket.
The following persons in a limited company must reside within the European Economic Area (EEA):
- at least half of the board members
- at least half of the deputy board members
- the managing director
- all deputy managing directors
- at least one of the persons who are authorised to sign on behalf of the company.
The requirements concern residency, not citizenship.
The application must be written in Swedish or translated into Swedish. We do not usually require that the translation is done by an authorised translator.
We can accept single attachments in Danish, Norwegian or English, if they are easy to understand. This is often the case with a certified copy of a passport. We will ask for a Swedish translation or additional details when needed.
Important information in an application
All exemption applications are individually assessed. State the following information about the company:
- business name
- registration number
- postal address
- telephone number.
Company representative or contact person
- postal address
- telephone number
- email address.
Size and ownership of the company
State the size and ownership of the company, for example:
- the company’s annual turnover
- number of employees
- the amount of share capital in the company
- distribution of the shares
- if the company is part of a group of companies, and if so, are there any foreign companies involved.
- full name
- Swedish personal identity number, if the person has one, or date of birth
- residential address.
and the limited company’s:
- board members
- deputy board members
- managing director
- deputy managing director
- persons who hold signatory power
- person designated to accept service of process on behalf of the company.
Person or persons the application concerns
State the following information about the person or persons the exemption application concerns:
- full name
- Swedish personal identity number, if the person or persons has one, or date of birth
- residential address of the person the application concerns
- position or positions the person or persons is appointed to
- how long the person needs the duration of the exemption to last/to apply.
Background and reasons for exemption application
Describe the company’s business activities in detail, why you are applying for exemption, how you will organise the board of directors and the management of your company, how this will affect your customers, suppliers, authorities, etc.
The application must be signed by someone who has signatory power.
Attach an identification document for each person you are applying for exemption for. The document must:
- be valid
- include a photo
- confirm the person’s date of birth
- be certified.
If the company has issued a power of attorney for the application, attach the power of attorney.
Person authorised to receive service of process
If there is not at least one board member, or the managing director, or one person authorised to sign for the company residing in Sweden, a limited company must appoint a person authorised to receive service on the company's behalf. Only one person may be appointed. This person must reside in Sweden. We cannot make an exemption from the requirement to appoint such a person. It is possible to appoint a person who at the same time is for example a deputy board member. Please note that The Supervisory Board of Public Accountants (Revisorsinspektionen) recommends that the company auditor should not be the person appointed for this type of assignment.
You must pay a fee for each appointment. If you for example apply for exemption for a board member and the managing director you must pay two fees.
Send your application to:
SE-851 81 Sundsvall