If you want to set up a branch in Sweden, you must register the branch with Bolagsverket. You must also attach some documents to your application, for example, a certificate of registration for the foreign company.
How to register a branch
- A foreign company decides to set up a branch in Sweden
- A managing director is appointed and he or she must have a special power of attorney
- Apply for registration with and pay the fee to Bolagsverket
- The branch is registered with Bolagsverket
1. A foreign company decides to set up a branch in Sweden
A foreign-based company decides to expand its business into Sweden and sets up a branch.
2. A managing director is appointed and he or she must have a special power of attorney
The foreign-based company appoints a managing director to run the branch’s business activities. He or she must have a special power of attorney. You can read more on the page Managing director and auditor.
3. Apply for registration with and pay the fee to Bolagsverket
Use the form Registration of a new branch, number 887 e , to apply for registration of the branch. You will find information regarding attachments to the form on page 4 of the form. The form must be signed by the managing director (or the deputy managing director) of the branch and filed before you start the business activities in Sweden. The fee for registering a branch is SEK 2 000 . Please remember to pay the fee for your registration as soon as you have submitted your application.
You can start your business activities when you have applied for registration of the branch with Bolagsverket.
4. The branch is registered with Bolagsverket
When the branch has been registered with Bolagsverket, it receives a Swedish registration number. Before registration, Bolagsverket will examine, among other things, the power of attorney for the managing director and the business activities of the branch and will decide if the proposed business name of the branch can be approved. Our processing time is about one or two weeks. When the branch has been registered, we will send you a certificate of registration in Swedish.
A branch can have a financial year that follows the calendar year or a split financial year. A split financial year must start on the first day of a month, include twelve months, and end on the last day of a month.
Offering services in Sweden temporarily?
You do not have to register a branch with Bolagsverket if your company is
- registered within the European Economic Area (EEA),
- delivering services according to the Services Directive*, and
- running its business in Sweden temporarily.
Do not order printed material before your business name has been approved
Make sure you do not order a domain name or printed material such as business cards, signs, etc. before we have approved and registered your business name.
* Directive 2006/123/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 December 2006 on services in the internal market.